7 Apr 2011

Calder ispirations







Lucky old me found myself outside the university library at just the right moment, to re-home these discarded beauties! Books full of old images of the works of Alexander Calder the prolific maker, artist and innovator. The striking energy, unique balance and bold block shapes and colour will not fail to inspire me, and I would imagine will find its way into my subconscious when planning a new warp and the blocking designs on my loom. The thing that strikes me most when looking through these books though is the sense of enjoyment and obsession Calder found in his own work, making in his studio, his barns, outside in the open, town and country, he seems to have made from whatever came to hand wherever he was. This attitude and fixation on creativity and expression is uplifting and inspiring to look at! Thanks Mr Calder.

No comments:

Post a Comment